Apply to Join Hire a Writer
Interested in joining Hire a Writer?
We accept applications from writers on an ongoing basis. You can expect a response within two to four weeks, except in the summer months when applications are held until September for a decision.
To join the Hire a Writer Directory, you must be a current QWF member and meet at least one of the following criteria for each genre you are applying for:
- At least one book published by a recognized publisher (i.e., not self-published); or
- At least five texts published in recognized journals or publications (print or online); or
- Have at least one screenplay for cinema or television produced by a producer recognized by CALQ or SODEC; or
- Have at least one dramatic work either published by a recognized publisher or performed by a professional company.
Note that meeting the above criteria does not guarantee inclusion in the directory.
You do not have to be a QWF member to apply. If however, your application is successful, you will have to become a member before you can join Hire a Writer.
All applications must be sent by email to email@example.com with the subject line “Hire a Writer – [Author’s Name]”
In your email, include the following information attached as one (1) Word or PDF document.
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Website link (if you have one)
- LinkedIn link (if you have one)
- Genre(s) in which you are qualified to work. Your options are:
- Arts & Entertainment
- Government & Non-Profit
- Children’s & YA Literature
- Screenwriting & Playwriting
- Author and teaching/coaching/editing CV, for each genre you’re applying for
- List of publications (name of article/piece, name of publication, and year of publication) for each genre you are applying for
- Hourly rate (not for publication on the Hire a Writer website)
In addition, attach PDFs showing three examples of your published work (20 pages maximum for each example). We do not accept links.
Selected writers will be asked to pay a $25 annual fee in order to cover QWF’s administration costs.
Equal Opportunity Policy
QWF actively seeks to maximize diversity within its organization. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, and encourage Indigenous people, people of colour, LGBTQ+ and gender-nonconforming people, people with disabilities, women, and members of any other marginalized group to self‐identify if they are comfortable doing so.